Glossary of terms
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
- An amount of money or bond posted to guarantee the payment of duties and taxes owing on imported goods.
- SIMA–Special Import Measures Act
- The legislative authority to take retaliatory action against goods which are determined to have been “dumped” or “subsidized” by levying anti-dumping or countervailing duties. See ADD–Anti-Dumping Duty
- Specific Duty
- A rate of duty expressed in dollars or cents per unit of measure.
- Statement of Origin
- The Statement of Origin is used to claim NAFTA Preference on goods valued at less than CA$1600 when completion of a formal NAFTA Certificate of Origin is not required.
- Sufferance Warehouse
- A privately owned and operated facility licensed by the CBSA for the control, short-term storage, and examination of in-bond goods until they are released by CBSA or exported from Canada.
- An additional duty imposed as an emergency measure of a temporary nature, usually on imported goods causing or threatening serious injury to Canadian producers of like or directly competitive products.