A Proud Legacy of Customs Brokerage
Born in Ottawa, Russell Alexander Farrow moved to Windsor, Ontario in 1910, where he worked briefly as a Dominion Customs Appraiser, investigating duty drawback claims for the Department of National Revenue. The following year, he left the Department and started his own customs brokerage firm to service the bustling commercial ferry traffic between Detroit and Windsor.
The fledgling company temporarily ceased operations during WWI when the young Russell Farrow enlisted in the Canadian army and served with distinction on the Western Front.
Returning home in 1918, he soon revived the customs brokerage business and went on to enjoy considerable success during the period of economic prosperity and industrial expansion that followed the War.
Innovation in Integrated Logistics
Always seeking new opportunities, Russell Farrow was one of the first brokers in Canada to have his own delivery vehicles to provide customers with an integrated logistics service, offering both brokerage and transportation. During the 1930's Russell Farrow also became actively involved in politics, both as a local organizer for the Liberal Party and as the mayor of Walkerville, Ontario in 1934.
After his death in 1949 at the age of 58, Russell Farrow's wife, Alice, assumed control of the company as President. She was followed by her two sons, Robinson R. Farrow and Huntley J. Farrow, both of whom steadily expanded the company's local operations and facilities over the years.
Recognizing the potential of computers, Huntley Farrow began, in the early 1960s, to establish the company as a leading developer of programs specifically tailored to international trade. The company also became a pioneer in the use of electronic communications and automated technology.
Like his father, Huntley Farrow was actively involved in local politics, first as a councillor for the municipality of Riverside, Ontario and later for the city of Windsor, Ontario.
Today, his son Richard J. Farrow is the Chairman and C.E.O. of the company.
The Farrow Group Today – Customs Brokerage Today and into the Future
Beginning in the 1970's with the acquisition of several smaller customs brokerage firms and the opening of branch offices at major ports across Ontario, Russell A. Farrow Limited has experienced a period of dynamic growth and change that has continued unabated, allowing us to provide the most advanced and encompassing services to our clients. The company has continued to grow in size and scope to become a major player in the North American customs brokerage and integrated logistics industry.
In 1995, the company amalgamated with four other well-established customs brokers — Canadian Trade Resources Ltd. of Windsor, Henry Weiner Inc. and J.MacD.Thomson Ltd. both of Toronto, and Mid West Higinbotham Ltd. of Edmonton — to form an integrated national customs brokerage and logistics organization under the Farrow name.
Continual Growth & Innovation in Customs Brokerage & Logistics
In 2008, the Farrow network was expanded further with the acquisition of CORTEZ Customhouse Brokerage Company and CORTEZ Global Logistics. Through acquisitions and strategic partnerships, we’ve significantly broadened our international freight forwarding and logistics capabilities as well as our services to and from Mexico, making us a truly international, single-vendor solution provider for virtually any customs brokerage and logistics needs.
As we approach 2011, the Farrow Group looks forward to celebrating our 100th anniversary.
That's right, even our Logo has a story.